. . . it's been awhile. School and work meant that my 101 things list got pushed to the side. Since it's my list, I've decided that I have one more year to work on it! My new deadline is Dec 25, 2011. I'm excited to keep working on the list. I know it won't get done (there's not a lot of time/money for an international trip at the moment), but I think I can make a lot more progress. Thus, it's time for a catch up!
14. Visit 5 of my unvisited lower 48 states is now complete! I have previously done 4 other states (Kentucky, New York, West Virginia, Indiana), and I have now added South Carolina AND North Carolina. We visited Myrtle Beach and Charleston in South Carolina, and we spent a day in Wilmington, North Carolina. Pics to come soon. I only have 9 states left until I've visited all 50.
43. Do a “Donors Choose” challenge I'm going to call this one complete. I did put together a challenge, but I sadly didn't get anyone else to participate. On the bright side, I've been donating $10 a month. I also donated quite a bit at Christmas (got a few gift cards and bought a Donors Choose groupon), so they've had lots of support from me this year. I still think this is an excellent charity and a slick way to help teachers get what they need for the classroom. I've met my goal of helping them out, and I intend to continue supporting them as long as I can afford. If you are so inclined to donate, I'd like to suggest this project, as it could use a little love. The band director is requesting percussion equipment for his drummers.
47. One month of compacting Another completed goal! I spent the month of February not buying anything outside of toiletries, groceries, and gas. It wasn't hard, per se -- I don't buy much anyway -- but it was annoying. Mostly, I have found that I tend to not be an impulsive buyer anyway, and it was frustrating to have to put off purchases I wanted/needed. I usually try and find a way to make do, but sometimes you just have to buy something. In my case, I put off getting a textbook (the class doesn't start until tomorrow, so it was okay) and getting a new container for flour. I have started baking more, and I now have three types of flour. It's nice to have my two most frequently used flours in bins instead of having to mess with ziploc bags or the paper bag. In conclusion, I don't think I'd do compacting again. It is laudable and great for people who think their consumption is a large problem, but I find that's not my issue.
57. Live by myself for at least three months Yes, I do live with Matt. But I also live by myself most of the time, so this goal is done. I go to school an hour away from where Matt and I live, and I have a really full schedule. Plus, commuting makes me crazy (like, really crazy). Therefore, I rented an apartment for this school year. The apartment is a mile from campus, and it is a lovely little retreat that I have all to myself. I don't have much there: an air mattress, a camping table, a folding papasan chair, and some kitchen gear. It's simple and peaceful, and it is just the right place for me. I don't have internet at the apartment, so it's easy to get studying done. I miss Matt during the week, but it is nice to have my own space.
67. Do something to pamper myself physically (facial/manicure/pedicure)
I got a pedicure! My first one ever, and it was quite a lot of fun. My mom and I went together over Christmas break. I liked having pretty toenails, and I'm excited to get another one someday. It's a fun splurge. The color is hard to see; it's really a deep purple.
74. write 4 real letters to friends I wrote my last real letter to a friend, uh, last summer. Man, it's been awhile since I updated. Anyway, that one has been done for awhile. I find it much easier to write postcards, but it's fun to write letters from time to time.
91. buy a bikini and wear it in public Woah, how did I not catch this one? I bought a bikini last summer, and I wore it to go swimming over the 4th of July holiday. We were at a little mining lake at Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area.
-2 more in progress for 4 total in progress
7 more completed for 62 total completed